Summary of the things I had to do to get it up to my standards





Most of what I did was fixing 'just off' things.

- Aligned the pickups to the strings, the bridge pu was moved over by 3 millimeters, the neck pu by 1 millimeter.
- Due to the moving of the pickups I also had to move the pickguard.
- Reshaped the nut, they just put on a right handed one so this needed to be seriously modified.
- Gave the tuner bushings a few knocks on their head, they were mounted crooked.
- The fingerboard had several less good looking and finished spots, re-finished these.
- Crowned the frets where needed and polished them, they were level but rough finished in a lot spots.
- Changed the rotation direction of the pots, they were wired lefty so nothing wrong there,
  I just can't and won't cope with this reversed crap!
- Done a full shielding of the controls cavity, there was none whatsoever.
- Made a thumb rest.
- Made a new truss rod cover.
- Replaced the strap holders, what was on there was mounted with very thin and short screws,
  to leave those would have been waiting for an accident to happen.
- Checked if all the screws and bolts were tightened and if they weren't tightened them
  (more often than not they were loose!).
- Did a full and thorough setup.

Conclusion:

After all the things I did mentioned above this bass has transformed into a very nice, good working and playing Rick 4005 interpretation.
Sound wise it has some settings that can resemble the Rick sound very closely, luckily it also has it's own sound, the pickups sound good enough for me, only minus is that the bridge pickup is slightly microphonic, I can live with that.
The lacquer and finish is not bad - there are some blemishes and rough spots, most blemishes are underneath the lacquer!




Pictures of some of the work I did

Shielding:

Before (nothing there! They did a nice bit of freehand routing).


And after.




Immediately after unpacking, observe the brilliant alignment of the pickups.


And after my fix.






The thumb rest.




The new truss rod cover.



Bonus ;-)


The first scar is also a fact, it had to drop from the table while I was working on the nut.
Colored it in again with a red sharpie and after I took this picture sealed and stabilized it with some CA glue.

Don't ask what that black spot is, it's underneath the lacquer and there are several more on the sides of the body.


And how I repaired it at a later time.

Back